Trackcarz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the rattlebox

4 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

the rattlebox - Page 3 Empty Re: the rattlebox

Post by martyboi Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Cool oh the benefits of being a fabricator, I'm not jelous..... honest Crying or Very sad
martyboi
martyboi
Admin
Admin

https://trackcarz.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:38 am

Cheers for the advice Cool Yeah i have been looking to mount mine inside the car and save weight so i might go this direction? as i said i was just having concerns about it working but iam 98% sure it should be OK,

As for the for alloy hgv plate i can confirm that its off an hgv just not sure which one as there used on many hgv's to cover there battery boxes and use on the walk ways behind the cabs,

Loving the battery box,keep it coming in iam looking forward to the day this car gets fired up Twisted Evil

Cheers Don
Scuderia
Scuderia

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:40 am

its definatly an improvement...

i wont lie you`ll be looking around 100 quid for one.. mines a POWERVAMP but VARLEY and ODDESSY do very similar size/weight/cost items...

the flared plate is now at work and marked up ready to be bent and welded this week

once again the inner tart has struck and i`ve succumb to the magpie effect!!!! i spotted this on the BGC website while i was looking for his number (its where all my braided hose fitting comes from.. Brian - awesome service and MEGA helpful)

BOSCH 044 pump mount!!!!:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Billet-alloy-fuel-pump-sytec-filter-mounting-bracket-29-p

mine will be black.. i feel a bit guilty knowing i probably could have made something but time is always a rarity and it does look a tidy mount so why not....

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:03 am

right then... after a drunk night out celebrating evostu`s 35th birthday the rallying @ marham didn`t happen so despite feeling rougher than a particulalrly rough thing i went down the workshop in an attempt to achieve something....

the swirl pot needed the base trimming down a little and 4 new holes putting in it.. then came the job of finding somewhere to mount it that A:looked right.. B: made pipe routing easy and neat and C: somewhere out of the way...

after a bit of head scratching.. a few paracetamol.. mother rustling up beans on toast.. and a few gallons of black coffee... i had it... in between the tank and cage.. unfortunatly despite ticking box A, B and C... i had overlooked the D option.... somewhere easy to fit the thing....

the area of floorpan curves and shapes all over the fricken place so i made a small plinth for it.. welded 4 nuts on the underside and shaped it to fit the floor.. and heres the result.. (just needs welding in place):

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo918

i also finalised where the ECU will be mounted and made a little ally bracket to hold it in place... but forgot to take pics... my bad.. sorry..

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:31 am

Its looking great,fantastic,

Once again thanks for the advice on the battery,you don't need to tell me about the prices i have already seem them lol....gulp!!

I have to say i like your fuel tank,pot and fittings,

When i fitted mine a few Months back as aways it was down to what i could afford,the foam filled tank i bought along with a low pressure webro turbo pump i only had 8mm push on fittings as my throttle body runs at low pressure but it will do for now,

I wonder if i should fit a swirl pot?? i take it just aids better fuel delivery?

Its funny as i was going buy a bracket like yours but a good friend in the motorsport business offered to make me one,here is a few pics if you interested? iam not trying to hijack your thread by the way...honest,

the rattlebox - Page 3 FiatCinquecentoFuelPumpBracket-1

the rattlebox - Page 3 Hgrfyt003

the rattlebox - Page 3 Paint004

Cheers Scuderia

Scuderia
Scuderia

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:28 am

haha i like that clamp... thats really nice... the "custom" engraving is what sets stuff off in my opinion.. it shows its a part you`ve thought about rather than just phone up a catalogue and order something...

if your tanks foam filled (as well as helping resist explosions in the worst case scenario) it`ll help stop the fuel sloshing around and should be enough to prvent fuel starvation during hard cornering.. if i was you i`d try without and see how it goes..

as for push on fittings.. theres absolutely nothing wrong with them mate make sure you use decent quality hose clips on them and you`ll have zeo issues.. especially as your system runs on lower pressure...

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:00 pm

nice bit of bling, I think we all get sucked in by the shiny stuff Laughing and another nice tidy job Cool

martyboi
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:39 am

davenport wrote:haha i like that clamp... thats really nice... the "custom" engraving is what sets stuff off in my opinion.. it shows its a part you`ve thought about rather than just phone up a catalogue and order something...

if your tanks foam filled (as well as helping resist explosions in the worst case scenario) it`ll help stop the fuel sloshing around and should be enough to prvent fuel starvation during hard cornering.. if i was you i`d try without and see how it goes..

as for push on fittings.. theres absolutely nothing wrong with them mate make sure you use decent quality hose clips on them and you`ll have zeo issues.. especially as your system runs on lower pressure...

Cheers,Yeah its a work of art....although its about the only custom part on the car lol but yeah its good to see parts made rather than bought of the shelf but then again for those that can't or don't have the means to do it...its way to easy to say I'll have that one please,

OK i will leave the swirl pot for now and see how i get on,

Keep them updates coming in its looking great and iam sure it will help others in the future,

Cheers Scuderia

My tank is
Scuderia
Scuderia

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:20 pm

some billet spacers:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo924

once this lots nailed down i can get the pipes made:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo923

ignore the return going to the tank... i`ve changed my mind since that was fitted and need to get a new (longer) pipe made up to feed back into the swirl pot..

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:15 am

first things first... ITS PIPED UP!!

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo926

also managed to aquire some tube for the lower front X-member today...

first job was to make a couple of tabs for the rad to sit on... this chunk of box section was chopped up:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo929

and after a bit of sanding and drilling:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo932

the ends of the chassis legs had some random square holes in them which needed plugging up:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo933

after a few hours i had achieved the start of the removeable section:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo934

with the rad fitted i figured i might aswell see if the fan could be mounted off it too... out with some more box section:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo935

and the fruits of the days tinkering... SHAZZAM:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo936

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Verry nice! Cool
martyboi
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:49 am

Looking good as always davenport,

I tell you something.... your a tool I'd love in my tool box lol,

Keep up the good work its going to be good un when its back down on its paws and running i tell you that,iam excited you must be overwhelmed with excitement,

All the best Scuderia
Scuderia
Scuderia

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:10 am

Scuderia wrote:I tell you something.... your a tool

hahahahahhaah i get told this (and a lot worse) regularly....

many thanks for the compliments.. yeah that first drive is going to be great but i know as soon as i do i`ll be thinking about what to do next...

i`m quite pleased with how the cars turned out so far and know its gonna a riot on the backroads...

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:33 pm

a short stint at the workshop today..

push button mounted (this will scroll through the various different screens on the digi dash)

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo955

also got the level sended fitted into the tank top plate and started nailing the pipes down in the car..

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo953

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Cool did you have to use a sender that goes with the dash, or did you just modify somthing to fit?
martyboi
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:04 pm

no pretty much and sender could have been used.. the dash can be calibrated to whatever its reading a signall from...

i beleive 0ohms is full and 70ohms empty for this sender so can tell that to the dash and its all good.. i hope...

got the fitting welded on the catch tank today:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo962

god ridge fittings must be different grade ally to the the rest as it didnt like being welded with the rods i was using.. or it might be down to my lazy weld prep haha.. either way its on...

just gotta allow the tank to breath to atmosphere now and its done.. ready for the pipe to be made!!

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:10 am

Thats pretty good then Cool

Laughing well it still looks bloody good to me!
martyboi
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:47 am

the mission thursday night was to find a way of allowing the catch tank to breath any pressure passed through from the top end

i think the MOCAL tanks have a posh cap that allows fumes to vent out... - not an option

my old rocker cover had a tiny breather filter - not an option

just drill a few tiny holes - not an option...

no.. what was needed was something trick and time consuming!!

so...

first up i machined a ring with a recess in the base and 3 holes around the edge:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo974

these 3 holes were then marked onto the tank and drilled out to accept a threaded insert.. a big hole in the centre of these was also cut:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo976

finally a piece of foam was cut to sit in the recess of the top ring and then once bolted up will allow the fumes to vent!:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo975[/QUOTE]

as for this weekend

despite not getting to bed until 5 this morning and ending up with a house full of drunk people after a wedding.. i was determind to do something.. so after a couple of hours of BTCC i went o get busy...

first job was to finish sorting all my poxy nuts and bolts out as having them all in a massive tub was causing a headache.. notice the "box-of-inspiration" already opened!!:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo982

then i had to do something about the slam panel.. unfortunatly it would appear that during is design 1 bloke did the left hand side and someone else did the right hand side as they sure as hell werent the same!!!

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo978[/U][/U]the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo977

so i found my old spare panel and jig`d it up so it didn`t collapse when i started cutting it:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo979

once the centre was cut out i built both bits above the headlights up so they are level and matching:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo980

for the middle piece i`m planning something like this:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo981

and will continue the flared holes right across above the headlights... quite happy with it so far!!

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:00 am

That breather is work of art lol,loving it as always, matter a fact iam fcking jelous lol,

Now i know where your coming from with the bolts and nuts they have to be in order for me too Embarassed there is a place for everthing as they say?? well there is for me,

The guys that did that slam panel need to go to spec savers lmfao,

I look forward to more updates although iam not going to be about as iam away with work for a few weeks so i will see you about,

Don't drink all them beers in one go will you:twisted: iam sure you gave it good dam try though

Cheers Scuderia

Last edited by Scuderia on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scuderia
Scuderia

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:00 pm

i hope the work away goes smoothly fella... hurry back and get that fiat flyin!!

ALL of those nuts and bolts were in 1 massive tub.. it was looking for 2 M5 stainless washers that i thought.... this really isn`t productive!! hahaha

stainless is now in the plastic tray... mild steel in the ally ones.. M4/5.. M6.. M8.. M10.. sooo much easier to find stuff now...

i have no idea what peugeot were doing with the slam panel.. i cant even work out why it needs to be different either side...

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:57 pm

davenport wrote:i hope the work away goes smoothly fella... hurry back and get that fiat flyin!!

ALL of those nuts and bolts were in 1 massive tub.. it was looking for 2 M5 stainless washers that i thought.... this really isn`t productive!! hahaha

stainless is now in the plastic tray... mild steel in the ally ones.. M4/5.. M6.. M8.. M10.. sooo much easier to find stuff now...

i have no idea what peugeot were doing with the slam panel.. i cant even work out why it needs to be different either side...

Yeah iam keen to get back to get more work done on this car and iam not even away yet lol,I'll be back before i know it,

Thinking about the slam panel????would it be different due to left or right hand drive set ups??just a thought,

Cheers Scuderia
Scuderia
Scuderia

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:34 am

Awesome work with the catch tank! Cool if I'd made one it would have probably just consisted of a lucozade bottle, tape and a bit of garden hose Embarassed

Laughing gotta love the box of inspiration, i think i would need a pallet if i ever deecided to sort out my stuff Shocked

Nice work on the slam pannel too, are you making it so the centre section is removeable for easy engine access???
Aint the 106's the same as a saxo underneath??? The dodgy desighn could be somthing to do with that???
martyboi
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:55 am

big ramps and the "mini-me`s" all finished and done...

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo987

got the steel in place and tacked up for the slam panel ready to attack with the Miggy-Miggy:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo984

the jig did the job perfectly and it bolted back in place with zero bother:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo985

all back together again...:

the rattlebox - Page 3 Photo986

so so so chuffed with this... which is rare for the stuff i make!!!

and to make the day complete the Northern superstar Phil made an appearance with jaffa cakes and lager.. the sun was shining... its what weekends are all about tbh...

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:35 am

i'd be bloody well chuffed too. looks mint! Cool
martyboi
martyboi
Admin
Admin