Trackcarz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a bolt in half cage

Go down

Fitting a bolt in half cage Empty Fitting a bolt in half cage

Post by martyboi Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:09 am

Heres a little guide for those wanting to fit a half cage, i probably would have gone for a full cage if i didn't use the corsa as an everyday road car too, but as you really need to be wearing a helmet in a car with a full cage i thought it was a good compromise.

First thing to do is get the seats out and trial fit the cage.
In the corsa i had to remove the old brackets that held the rear seats in place as they would foul the cage feet.

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_4861

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5324

So out come the spot weld drill bit....... and i made a right mess Embarassed

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5328

Now with everything out the way its time to position the cage and mark up where it's going

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5329

Now this part is optional, but i think it is best to have some plates welded in under the feet to distribute the weight if you ever roll the car over.

Get rid of the sound deadening ( i hate this job Mad )

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5334

I used some 3mm thick mild steel for the plates, i had to cut them to fit to the contours of the floor pan
Also make sure you have cleaned all the paint from the surface where you will be welding.

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5339

**Warning** just make sure before you do any welding there is nothing underneath (like petrol lines) you don't want to start a fire do you!!!

Tack the plates in (yea i know my weldings rubbish Embarassed )

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5341

Then weld them in (be careful of underseal catching fire, so keep an eye out for flames Wink )

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5343

Then refit the cage and drill all the holes, and bolt up with some high tensile bolts.

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5360

After a lick of paint it doesn't look too bad Laughing

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5546

Its a good idea to get hold of some proper roll cage padding like this.... not pipe lagging from B&Q Laughing

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5370

Fitting a bolt in half cage 100_5560

*DISCLAIMER* This is intended as a guide only, i will not be held liable for any damage caused or anything OK!
martyboi
martyboi
Admin
Admin

https://trackcarz.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down